Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Party.

Party
by Dottie

Party. What comes to your mind when you think of that word? For some reason, the first thing I think of is my youth. My mom was the queen of all things party when it came to her family and she still is. We had the most fabulous birthday parties every year. She never hesitated to give us exactly the kind of party we wanted. We picked the theme, the kind of cake and ice cream we wanted, the entertainment, location, guests, decorations, favors…just about everything except the budget!  Knowing my mom, she gave us these elaborate parties for next to nothing and you’d never be the wiser!

It’s hard for me to even think of which birthday party was my favorite.  Was it my 7th birthday party when I had a magician?  Was it my 8th birthday party sleepover when my stepdad told us scary stories and my uncle was outside make noises in the bushes? Was it my ice skating party in 6th grade where I was showing off in my new skating dress and I fell and jammed my thumb between the ice and the wall?  The roller skating party where we thought we all though we were so cute flirting with some jr. high boys til my dad caught us and literally dragged us off the rink back to the party room…how embarrassing! Was it the party my mom planned for me in high school on the same night as the homecoming game that I sort of sulked through because I didn’t want to be late to a football game that I went to be “seen” at and not watch?  I don’t know…nothing holds fonder memories than my birthday parties…even the party  where my “friend” proceeded to make fun of me and every single one of my guests to the point where most of us were in tears – 3rd grade girls can be so mean!

What I have learned is this.  No matter how elaborate or simple the party is…your child is going to love it.  No matter how much you spend on decorations or how many tokens you give them to spend at Chuck E. Cheese, they will have a blast.   No matter how many guests there are or how many days before or after their actual birthday the party took place, they won’t remember those details. Even if you planned a party on what seemed to be the most inconvenient night of their life at the time…they’ll appreciate it…one day! What they will remember is that you, their parents, the people that they can always count on, the ones who love them more than life itself, always remembered their birthday and honored them with a special celebration each and every year.  A celebration you put together with nothing else in mind but to make them happy.  Yet, just another selfless parenting act they won’t appreciate until they themselves are parents.

So no matter what the word party conjures up in your mind when you hear it, this is what I think. Parties are about making people happy.  For me, making other people happy,  makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment